"Pour libation for your father and mother who rest in the valley of the departed. God will witness your action and accept it. Do not forget this even when you are away from home. For as you do for your parents, your children will do likewise for you." ~~ Egyptian Book of Coming Forth by Day

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Call My Name

I was fortunate enough to have talked to my mother about my name so I know that I bear two of her family names. My first name is that of a second cousin that she admired in the small Texas town where they grew up. My middle name is the name of my maternal grandfather's sister who was accidentally shot by her husband when she was 20 years old. She was returning home from choir practice at church and startled him. He grabbed a gun when he heard a noise and it accidentally discharged. So the story goes.

My surname/maiden name carries my father's family history of enslaved people and their enslavers, indigenous Americans, stolen Africans, Revolutionary War veterans, and endogamous Ozark mountain people.

I have an African name too. Most of my friends and family call me by the name that means "ancient friend" or "sister on the long journey". I am a storytelling time traveler.

No comments: